[OSM-talk] Abandoned Rails

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Sat Aug 29 03:43:11 UTC 2015

I don't understand why people suggest things that don't work. How do I
make a route in OSM that includes the active railways, disused
railways, washed_out railways (where you can SEE rails in the river),
cycleways, footways, bridges, hedges, cuttings, embankments, and
shadows in fields if there is not a way in every case?

Or conversely, how does OHM allow for a route that includes ways going
through a farmer's field where everything has been plowed away, the
cinders scattered, the spikes buried beyond the reach of metal
detectors, where I, even I, agree that there is nothing to be seen
there .... AND ways where any damned fool can see that this used to be
a railroad because it lines up with existing tracks? (hint: like OSM,
it doesn't.)

Perhaps some day in the future, what you suggest will be practical
when the data schema has been revised to implement layers stored in
different databases. For now, no. Please stop suggesting this.
-russ