[OSM-talk] Abandoned Rails

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Sat Aug 29 03:53:30 UTC 2015

Frederik Ramm writes:
 > The fact "there is no railroad here", however, is not something that I
 > would consider useful; because where would it end? I'm standing at a
 > lakeshore - there's no railway here, also there's no forest here, and no
 > building, and no rugby pitch, no telephone booth, and no power lines.
 > Certainly you're not suggesting we map all these negatives.

IN FACT NOBODY IS SUGGESTING THIS. This is called a "strawman
argument". You create a position that nobody actually holds, which is
unreasonable, and then you say "This Is Unreasonable" and then you use
everyone's agreement to claim that a different position is wrong.

The use of a strawman argument is evidence that you have no viable
argument against the position that people actually hold.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog