[OSM-talk] Fixing Starbucks Wikipedia Tags (Was Nominatim Weakness)

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Tue Dec 15 17:36:47 UTC 2015

A count [1] of just Starbucks (the original thread gave Starbucks as an
example) with a wikipedia tag shows 383 objects. As Sarah Hoffmann has
pointed out, the wiki states that the wikipedia tag should only be used
when the wikipedia article is about that feature. I'm happy to fix the ones
in the US. Is there someone on the list that is familiar with China, Japan,
Spain, Poland and Thailand that could fix those?

Ironically, the one US Starbucks store that is mentioned in the wikipedia
article doesn't have a wikipedia tag. That will be included in the fix.
For those familiar with Seattle, the original store is located in Pikes
Place Market. If you are visiting Seattle my advice is to skip it. There
are better coffee shops all over town.

Understand that fixing Starbucks doesn't solve the problem of adding the
wikipedia tag when it isn't appropriate. Since Starbucks is a global
company it makes sense to fix it. My adding the wikipedia tag to the
original Starbucks store will still result in Nominatim listing that store
first even though it likely isn't in the bbox of the search.

Clifford

[1] http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/dhb
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starbucks
--