[OSM-talk] "How We Map"

Matthijs Melissen info at matthijsmelissen.nl
Thu Feb 12 19:39:50 UTC 2015

On 10 February 2015 at 12:19, Jo Walsh <metazool at fastmail.net> wrote:
> I wish to float this draft page for discussion and possibly future
> approval!
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/How_We_Map

I welcome this page, I think it is very useful.

One small comment - I oppose the following sentence:

| OpenStreetMap has very few rules on tagging. There are tagging
| standards but they evolve instead of being pushed through.

There is no consensus on this point, and including it in official 'How
we map' guidelines would falsely suggest that there exists such a
consensus. It is also not true that we map in this way: many tags that
we are using have been proposed before they were used, see
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Proposed_features_%22Approved%22.

Also, the meaning of this sentence is not clear: what does it mean for
a tagging standard to 'evolve', and what does it mean for a tagging
standard to be 'pushed through'?

In any case, I would like to thank you for drafting this document.

-- Matthijs