[OSM-talk] this has to stop: iD user mistakes all over the place

Michał Brzozowski www.haxor at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 02:43:02 UTC 2015

Whoops. Good to know. Though it's still rudimentary ;) Not long ago I
tried to do intentionally do stupid things in iD demo in order to see
if it would stop me - it didn't.

There's one more face to iD and mistakes users make: translations. Bad
translations cause bad tagging. English terms don't always translate
1:1 so I think it is beneficial for a translator to deviate a little
when needed. Example: "track" was translated to Polish as "droga
gruntowa" ("grunt" is "ground" so translated back to English it's
"unpaved road"). Which of course is a bad idea, as people will tag
every single unpaved road as highway=track. I took a little liberty
and changed that to "Droga polna lub leśna" ("Field or forest road")
which I think captures the essence more faithfully.

Michał