[OSM-talk] Mechanically Cleaning Up FIXME Tags

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Wed Feb 25 10:15:43 UTC 2015

To me, fixme tags always come with the implied 'I don't know, it needs
surveying from a more knowledgeable local mapper' so I don't think a
widespread mechanical edit will help.

As others have said: What's the problem with these tags? As they're not
harming the database. How will deleting them improve the quality of the
database?

Keep Right has the option to ignore fixmes that are irrelevant to a user.

 From what I've seen information added to 'Notes' is worse than fixmes.

For a really useful mass edit, remove all the created_by=* tags that are
attached to thousands (millions?) of nodes.

Dave F.

On 25/02/2015 02:37, Hans De Kryger wrote:
> Sounds like a great idea. My favorites to work on is dual␣carriageway
> <http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/FIXME=dual%20carriageway> &
> not␣dual␣carriageway
> <http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/FIXME=not%20dual%20carriageway>.
>
> *Regards,**
> *
> *Hans*
> *
> *
> *http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/TheDutchMan13
> *
> *
> *
>
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 6:58 PM, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com
> <mailto:bryce2 at obviously.com>> wrote:
>

>     I'm opening a discussion about a potential mechanical edit to
>     FIXME tags:
>
>     http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/fixme#values
>     http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/FIXME#values
>
>     It is apparent that a number of imports have left tens of
>     thousands of fixme notes that have a low chance of ever getting
>     addressed.  Pick your favorite from the lists
>     above: set␣better␣denotation is my mine.
>
>     The goal would be to reduce the pain felt by anyone with "fixme
>     warnings" turned on in their editing tool.

---