[OSM-talk] Micromapping and other subforums

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Sun Jul 5 13:39:39 UTC 2015

W dniu 05.07.2015 14:46, Warin napisał(a):

> Street maps ... for cars? for buses? for large (tall with large
> turning circles) trucks? bicyclists? pedestrians?
> There are a lot of different kinds of 'street maps' too.

Micromapping is kind of natural way of thinking about routing for
wheelchairs or orienteering sports for example.

> I have previously suggested that some things are nanomapping ...
> smaller than micromapping
> (I have been critical of adding some data to OSM, types of fire
> extinguisher for example IIRC.
> Others have, correctly, said that it should be allowed.
> I have agreed, but will not be mapping such detail ... there is much
> more to do ... of interest to me, so I will do that.
> I certainly have mapped no fire extinguishers. Others can map their
> interests.)

I don't feel the need to use another name - for me "micromapping" covers
all that cases and it's nice and short way of describing the low scale
of OSM spectrum (I just wrote about the most general scaling problems
here:
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/1630#issuecomment-118563948
).

I also don't map fire extinguishers (typically rather shops with opening
hours), but polish fire service already uses positions of fire hydrants
on OSM for their own needs, and I can also think of making some "campus
plans" from OSM data (involving indoor mapping too probably), where such
details make sense.

down" [A. Cohen]