[OSM-talk] Micromapping and other subforums

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Sun Jul 5 02:20:58 UTC 2015

W dniu 05.07.2015 3:37, Warin napisał(a):

> Definition of mirco mapping would be usefull if this starts up?

Such concept is hardly a new thing in OSM and you can find general
introduction to micromappping here:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Micromapping

I think of myself as a long-time micromapper and I consider the
difference of scale much important than it seems on the surface. It
creates interesting new opportunities, but also interesting new problems
at the same time, because it changes the way you think about "classical"
objects (which is the most exciting part for me, because I like
exploring new frontiers).

It's quite universal subject, but with not too much people involved
currently, so breaking the national barrier seems to be quite natural.
3D and indoor mapping are very common in this regard, but they are more
distinct, while micromapping is misleading, because it looks much more
like the standard mapping practice.

>> And speaking of subforums: is there a possibility to create
>> sub-subforums (I mean thematic subforums inside country subforums)?
>>

> Why? Separating them out would lead to less participation - you only
> look at things that interest you untill you run out of time ...

As a forum moderator still I'd like to know if it's technically possible
at all. It doesn't mean we should automatically use it, of course, but
feeding huge multi-year threads is rather impractical in my view, while
creating new thread for every few posts makes it impossible to "cluster"
them somehow.

down" [A. Cohen]