[OSM-talk] Antennas and radio networks supports mapping

Dave Stanley daves at dbsconsult.co.uk
Wed Jul 15 12:15:34 UTC 2015

Hi

I map quite few radio sites in connection with my work.  Usually it is
just mast/tower locations using the 'man_made=tower +
tower:type=communication' tags with name/operator information. There
are  quite few things for these towers that could be improved.  For
example the difference between a tower and a mast - a mast in the UK is
normally considered to have guy wires to hold it up. where as a tower
supports itself.  May masts are big enough to justify the guy wires
being mapped with their ground anchor points. I am not aware of anything
suitable to do that.

There is also their feed line systems.  I have used power=line to map
some of these, as in this example in Burma:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/16.86624/96.16177

It is not ideal, but the closest I could think of.  Medium-wave
broadcasts sites typically have very long feeder systems that can be
mapped, as in the example.

As for the antennas mounted on a mast/tower, you then may need to
consider the frequencies and operators that use the antennas.  In some
cases there will be multiple frequencies and operators. Physically, you
would need the antenna height above ground level, direction, possibly
which leg it is on and so on.

Lots to think about.

Regards

Dave