[OSM-talk] Antennas and radio networks supports mapping

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 16:16:13 UTC 2015

Thank you Dave,

> Hi
>
> I map quite few radio sites in connection with my work.  Usually it is
> just mast/tower locations using the 'man_made=tower +
> tower:type=communication' tags with name/operator information. There are
> quite few things for these towers that could be improved.  For example the
> difference between a tower and a mast - a mast in the UK is normally
> considered to have guy wires to hold it up. where as a tower supports
> itself.  May masts are big enough to justify the guy wires being mapped
> with their ground anchor points. I am not aware of anything suitable to do
> that.

Ok to say definitions and keys are a bit messy. It's only about supports
which can be refined independently.

> There is also their feed line systems.  I have used power=line to map some
> of these, as in this example in Burma:
>
> https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/16.86624/96.16177
>
> It is not ideal, but the closest I could think of.  Medium-wave broadcasts
> sites typically have very long feeder systems that can be mapped, as in the
> example.

This is interesting
I didn't see the use of power=line like that but it can be adjusted.
Wouldn't you add frequency=* and usage=radio on such lines ? It may allow
consumers to distinguish them from standard electricity transmission lines.

RF can be used at high power rates : The CERN currently use them at hundred
of MW to power up its accelerator.

> As for the antennas mounted on a mast/tower, you then may need to consider
> the frequencies and operators that use the antennas.  In some cases there
> will be multiple frequencies and operators. Physically, you would need the
> antenna height above ground level, direction, possibly which leg it is on
> and so on.

Antennas have many characteristics but only a few are relevant in OSM.
It may be better to give a manufacturer name and model reference to get
such details directly from other databases.

Azimuth (if applicable), position and model information are the only data
required there, aren't you ?
If the antenna works on several frequencies (based upon it's model number
and manufacturer capabilities), the usage of those frequencies can depend
on the "radio stations" relations the antenna is member of.

Lots to think about.

Indeed, can't wait to go forward about this topic

Regards

François

--
*François Lacombe*