[OSM-talk] Tagging concert / music hall

Peter vd Kamp pkamp at acm.org
Mon Jul 20 17:39:19 UTC 2015

I tried to tag two music halls in my hometown Haarlem, The Netherlands. I was surprised that I couldn't find a tag 'concert hall' or 'music hall'. I found this help question: https://help.openstreetmap.org/questions/13007/which-tag-should-be-used-for-a-concert-hall
The solution suggested there is to use 'theatre' for concert hall and nightclub for smaller concert halls.

In the Dutch language a theatre is something completely different than a concert hall: theatre is used for buildings where you can look at plays, cabaret, comedies. Concert hall is used for buildings where you can listen to classical music (e.g. Concertgebouw, Amsterdam). Music hall is used for buildings where you can listen to e.g. rock concerts or new, promising bands (e.g. Heineken Music Hall (HMH), Ziggo Dome (ZD), both in Amsterdam). A nightclub is associated with an intimate atmosphere where 'easy listening' or jazz music is played, with a limited number of visitors. HMH and ZD absolutely do not fit into this definition, they are now both tagged with theatre, which I consider wrong. So I'm strongly in favour of having appropriate tags for the before mentioned buildings: concert hall and music hall. How can this be achieved?

Peter van der Kamp