[OSM-talk] Tagging concert / music hall

Steve Doerr doerr.stephen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 19:07:08 UTC 2015

On 20/07/2015 18:39, Peter vd Kamp wrote:

> Music hall is used for buildings where you can listen to e.g. rock
> concerts or new, promising bands (e.g. Heineken Music Hall (HMH),
> Ziggo Dome (ZD), both in Amsterdam).

The term 'music hall' in British English denotes a very different thing.
In fact, it's a historical term relating to the entertainment of the
19th and early 20th centuries. As far as I know, music halls were like
theatres inside, but used for mainly musical entertainment (a singer on
the stage accompanied by a band of musicians in the pit). They are
particularly remembered for comic songs like 'Daisy, Daisy', 'Henery the
Eighth', 'A little of what you fancy does you good', etc., which are
still sometimes sung in 'community singing' settings.

--
Steve

---