[OSM-talk] Facebook uses OpenStreetMap

李昕迪 Lee, Sin-di mcdlee at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 14:06:38 UTC 2015

> On 7/16/2015 6:42 PM, Dongpo Deng wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone have ideas why Facebook uses OSM for their checkin service in
>> some Asian countries including Taiwan, Japan, Korea, and China?
>
> Probably one of the typical reasons, better data in what they care about,
> different cost structure, or a different license model. It's good to see.
>
> I'm not surprised to see Facebook move in Asia first. The traditional
> international proprietary data vendors have weaker data in much of the
> region, and the national proprietary data sources are country by country,
> and may not suit them.
>
>> In Taiwan, just some areas are patched OSM on Here Map, e.g. Taipei City.
>
> Do you mean there are parts that are using both OSM and Here at the same
> time? I didn't see any, but am not familiar enough with the area.
>
> What I saw looked like a regional cut - taking parts of Asia from OSM. This
> is like Flickr did in Bejing with OSM, or MapQuest does with North America
> from TomTom and the rest of the world from OSM.
>
> I did see some quite crude cuts between what looked like two different map
> styles, but those didn't seem to align with usage of Here vs usage of OSM.
>
>> Because of that, we get more and more Notes for reporting errors.
>
> Are people reporting what is a bug with Here data on OSM?

Because Facebook links the bug report directly to OSM note, there are
some notes with misunderstanding.
Such as: https://www.openstreetmap.org/note/392042 ,
http://www.openstreetmap.org/note/397873 and
https://www.openstreetmap.org/note/397603

The user is so angry because he/she didn't know that the bug reports
are going to be "public".

李昕迪 Lee, Sin-di | http://www.mcdlee.tw