[OSM-talk] waterway - "routable network" and reservoirs/lakes

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Tue Jul 28 10:48:11 UTC 2015

Hi Christoph, my suggestion was to clearly separate the subject of water flow from the subject of routing. Whether roads are mostly bidirectional or not is irrelevant I think, as routers have to be able to handle one-way roads anyway. If I understand it right, edges in routing graphs are often one-way anyway as the characteristics from A to B may be different from B to A.
If you are interested in hydrodynamics on a large scale, like predicting the route an unpowered floating object would take, that is entirely different to the use of a routing engine to suggest a route to the skipper of a boat.
Simply adding a way from one side of a lake to the other to stop some QA program complaining is bordering on tagging for the renderer...
--colin