[OSM-talk] waterway - "routable network" and reservoirs/lakes

Christoph Hormann chris_hormann at gmx.de
Tue Jul 28 11:37:08 UTC 2015

On Tuesday 28 July 2015, Colin Smale wrote:
> Hi Christoph, my suggestion was to clearly separate the subject of
> water flow from the subject of routing. Whether roads are mostly
> bidirectional or not is irrelevant I think, as routers have to be
> able to handle one-way roads anyway.[...]

The requirement to connect waterways within water areas to create a
routable network is primarily about water flow and not about water
navigation.  If you want to discuss the needs for water navigation that
is fine but any results of such discussion will have little bearing on
the suggestion to link waterways to create a routable network.

The use of the term 'routable' is just because water flow analysis is
technically similar to the routing algorithms used for navigation.

I brought up the concept of oneway roads just to illustrate to those
familiar with routing for navigation the problems arising from having
components of the network represented by undirected polygon geometries.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/