[OSM-talk] [Talk-us] Am I mapping this wrong, or should the router be fixed for this?

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Fri Jul 31 05:41:58 UTC 2015

It is more than sufficient for a time calculation to use the maximum
speed, multiplied by some factor (smaller than 1), or even a fixed speed
per road class. My car navigation has this (there are three speeds I can
set) and usually the time is correct within a few minutes.
Much better is virtually impossible to achieve since you don't know how
much traffic there is on the road so you can not predict waiting times
at traffic lights or junctions.

But again: the duration of a route has nothing to do with the actual
route calculation. You first calculate the route based on cost factors
and then calculate the time you need based on speed profiles.

Maarten