[OSM-talk] [Talk-us] Am I mapping this wrong, or should the router be fixed for this?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 07:22:10 UTC 2015

sent from a phone

> Am 31.07.2015 um 07:41 schrieb Maarten Deen <mdeen at xs4all.nl>:
>
> It is more than sufficient for a time calculation to use the maximum speed, multiplied by some factor (smaller than 1), or even a fixed speed per road class.

Sometimes it also depends on the region and the intensity of usage of the road network. In certain metropolitan areas with at times more traffic than the network can digest, you would be far off with this metric. In these cases the general hierarchy of primary, secondary etc becomes meaningless and often the best you can do is use small lateral, residential roads to avoid the major traffic jam on the arterial roads ;-)

> Much better is virtually impossible to achieve since you don't know how much traffic there is on the road so you can not predict waiting times at traffic lights or junctions.

Most major routing systems use indeed real time traffic information today, collected by other users of their system and by cellphone networks

cheers
Martin