[OSM-talk] OSM is a right mess (was: Craigslist OpenStreetMap Rendering Issue)

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Jun 4 00:10:50 UTC 2015

On 04/06/15 00:48, pmailkeey . wrote:
> A value of residential here  seems to need a key to identify whether it
> relates to a building or landuse. However, you suggest
> building=residential as possibly being redundant. In fact, I'd turn this
> on its head and make landuse=residential (with the exception of moles)
> redundant. The only residential landuse is directly under a building but
> by using landuse=residential, such areas cover gardens and highways -
> which are clearly not residences.

building=residential is only redundant if the area it is in is
'residential'. The whole point here is that 'zoning/planning' identifies
housing estates, the related retail and amenity areas, and recreation
areas within that residential estate. Micro mapping would provide
individual buildings either detached, in pairs, in terraces, and rather
than every building having 'residential', 'detached/semi/terraced', the
fact they are on a residential estate provides that data? When zooming
out, once the buildings become too small to display, the residential
area still identifies the estate, and any associated retail areas. If
park areas are big enough they will appear in the residential area.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL