[OSM-talk] Some thoughts against remote mapping

Jóhannes Birgir Jensson joi at betra.is
Mon Jun 15 10:33:41 UTC 2015

Þann 15.6.2015 10:07, skrifaði Marc Gemis:

> On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 4:37 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org
> <mailto:frederik at remote.org>> wrote:
>
>        I'm known for being critical of armchair mapping by people with no
>     personal connection tho the area being mapped. Whether done for
>     fun, for
>     money, or to help, I think that in most cases it is a bad idea
>     that runs
>     against the spirit of OSM.
>

> I wonder what you think of "holiday"-mapping. Does not have this the
> same problems as remote mapping ?
> I'm thinking here of e.g. Overlanders that will map campsites and
> other tourist information on a otherwise possibly empty map in Africa
> or Asia.
> But I also thought that there are other popular holiday destination in
> e.g. Europe that were mapped by tourists instead a locals.
>
> Do you see this as a problem as well ?
I'm assuming no. I watch changesets in Iceland and we get a fair number
of tourist changesets, which we welcome (and fix if needed - spelling
mostly).

In 2009 Frederik gave an interview to Steve Coast where he said his
biggest fear was that OSM would go towards elitism - that only certain
people would be allowed to map. I'm hoping he hasn't changed his mind
(although that is of course everyones prerogative).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN1pjZsL1mA

Defining areas to be local and to only be touched by locals and, worse,
forming their own unique cultural mapping style (buildings are now
lines, roads are areas etc) that would be incompatible with the rest of
the map, these things would be a form of elitism, no outsiders allowed.

There is no remote mapper that I know of that believes they can produce
a better map than a local can, as I've categorized it in my tool then
mapping is at least a two phase action, one that can be done remotely
and the other locally. Sharing the remote burden all over the world
instead of a small local populace, probably with limited internet
connectivity, hardware and leisure time - to me that can only be a good
thing.

No village left behind.

--Jói