[OSM-talk] Some thoughts against remote mapping

Eros, Emily emily.eros at redcross.org
Mon Jun 15 18:11:50 UTC 2015

Hi all,

In the midst of the discussion about remote mapping, I couldn¹t help but
notice this comment from Sarah:

"In my experience, the issue is not that OSM is not welcoming for woman
but simply that it is not
interesting enough for them."

I was surprised to see this and I have to say that I disagree. I find it
hard to believe that half the population isn¹t interested in mapping just
because they are female; the active engagement of so many women in the OSM
community certainly suggests otherwise.

Maybe I am misreading the intent of that comment? If so, please disregard.
If not, and I¹m reading this correctly, then may I suggest looking deeper
to see if there are other factors (beyond pure lack of interest)
preventing the women you know from taking an interest in OSM? Maybe
there¹s a different engagement strategy you could consider?

#InterestedEnoughToMap,
Emily