[OSM-talk] Some thoughts against remote mapping

Rafael Avila Coya ravilacoya at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 19:52:45 UTC 2015

Hi, Eros:

Yes, this was another subject that arose during this conversation. And I
agree totally with what you say.

I have been always interested/worried about the low numbers of women
involved in free software/free knowledge projects. The situation in OSM
is far from being healthy in what respects to genre equality, and there
have been several talks about this issue in some of the SOTM's. I've
been teaching for many years in secondary schools, so I can assure you
that girls aren't less interested in computing than boys, and in the
several activities I did with OSM, girls numbers were actually bigger
than boys. Believe me: I didn't see any difference in students, as far
as you take inclusive measures to avoid discrimination of any kind.

Apart from the links given by Kate, I can recall a very interesting
keynote of Alyssa Wright about this subject in the SOTM 2013 [1] (only
slides).

Cheers,

Rafael.

[1]
http://web.archive.org/web/20150328164447/http://www.slideshare.net/apw217/changing-the-ratio

On 15/06/15 20:11, Eros, Emily wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In the midst of the discussion about remote mapping, I couldn¹t help but
> notice this comment from Sarah:
>
> "In my experience, the issue is not that OSM is not welcoming for woman
> but simply that it is not
> interesting enough for them."
>
> I was surprised to see this and I have to say that I disagree. I find it
> hard to believe that half the population isn¹t interested in mapping just
> because they are female; the active engagement of so many women in the OSM
> community certainly suggests otherwise.
>
> Maybe I am misreading the intent of that comment? If so, please disregard.
> If not, and I¹m reading this correctly, then may I suggest looking deeper
> to see if there are other factors (beyond pure lack of interest)
> preventing the women you know from taking an interest in OSM? Maybe
> there¹s a different engagement strategy you could consider?
>
> #InterestedEnoughToMap,
> Emily
>

>> From: Sarah Hoffmann <lonvia en denofr.de>
>> To: Kate Chapman <kate en maploser.com>
>> Cc: Talk Openstreetmap <talk en openstreetmap.org>
>> Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Some thoughts against remote mapping
>>

>>> Diversity to me has never just been gender. Though it has been shown
>>> that
>>> if you make a place welcoming to women it also makes it more inviting