[OSM-talk] Routing Applications

Michał Brzozowski www.haxor at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 12:06:29 UTC 2015

This was bothering me, too. But aren't we expecting too much? I guess
that via ways could be not that easy to implement for all but the
simplest cases (where it can be reduced to via nodes, anyway - like no
U-turn on a double carriageway which intersects with a
single-carriageway road).

Can someone who actually works with commercial navigation data say if
"via ways" have an equivalent in their systems?

We can't live in our idealistic world if it means that implementations
can't easily deliver proper solution. This indirectly backfires on our
crediblity, whether we like it or not. If it were that easy, then at
least some (more than 1 and few obscure) routers would have supported
via ways.

Routing is one of the areas where errors aren't tolerated and you will
get all this "OSM is shit" from people. If Google, TomTom and HERE can
sort it out, why can't we?

Michał