[OSM-talk] "Second decade" visions

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Wed Mar 11 10:57:59 UTC 2015

W dniu 11.03.2015 7:27, Jo napisał(a):

> My solution is to use MapCSS and filtering in JOSM to cope with this
> problem.

I know this method and it's good enough for now, but I was talking about
strategic thinking, not about the advanced functionality of just one
tool.

It should be something prominent like "choose the data mode:
full/basic/underground/micromapping/3D/indoor/..." and also implemented
in iD (probably with "standard" data set by default). Remember, we were
talking about damages newbies can do when they have too many strange
data visible at once and they tend to use iD of course, not JOSM.

> Fully agree with you on that. It is why I started to develop Python
> scripts which run inside of JOSM. I also created Youtube videos to

Great, I will check it!

And I think we need more tools also outside of JOSM in form of nice,
usable web interfaces (just starting JOSM requires some knowledge which
is irrelevant to the mapping issues) with "one tool for one set of
problems" attitude.

> What surprises me a bit, is that I hadn't seen mention of your scripts
> on talk-transit.

Oh, I was just not aware it exists at all (typical data overload issue
=} )... But the script itself is really fresh and it's still not even
documented enough to run it. I would write about it on this list when
it's ready anyway, but that was just a good example of what I wanted to
say in terms of vision.

--
Piaseczno Miasto Wąskotorowe