[OSM-talk] "Second decade" visions

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Tue Mar 10 22:53:54 UTC 2015

W dniu 10.03.2015 3:52, Alex Barth napisał(a):
> Casting the net a little wider:
>
> What do you think are the big topics and challenges for OpenStreetMap
> as we're about to go into the second decade? What does this mean for
> State of the Map?

I'm not sure what does this mean for SotM (?), but here are my thoughts
on strategic topics as I see them being the active OSM community member
from Poland. They are not very outstanding and visionary probably, but
IMHO they are important and it can easily take few years - up to decade
- to achieve these goals nevertheless... =}

TL;DR summary:

1. More synergy between (sub)projets
2. Managing data overload
    2a. Semi-automated tasks execution
    2b. Continuous sanity check tools
    2c. Big data analysis
3. Tools for personalizing OSM data presentation
4. Redesigning some key tagging schemes
5. Cooperation with external projects (especially open, like Wikidata)

***

And now that "TL" part alone:

1. More synergy between (sub)projets

OSM is acting in a highly decentralized way. I think this is healthy in
general, but because the project is now on the road to be "The Map"
(much like the Wikipedia is "The Encyclopedia" now), this results in
growing inefficiency and inertia. Of course we can't avoid having some
departments, just because the OSM is getting bigger and people tend to
focus on their favorite activity, but nobody seems to care about the OSM
output as a whole. For example you can talk to death every detail of
tagging some esoteric features while completely ignoring how will it
affect the rendering, routing or usability for mappers (for example how
to tell the difference between tags A and B).

While it's a general issue and can't be resolved once and for all, I
think connecting more dots inside the project is very important factor
of reaching "The Map" level.

2. Managing data overload

We have so many data these days! It's a blessing and a curse. There are
still many remote places where nothing is mapped - sure! But now we know
how to do it, we have the tools to do it and we can help local
volunteers to start (one of our most active member is helping to develop
mapping in Nepal, another one is fond of Kyrgyzstan mountains).

But what to do with big, dense cities, where we have the landuses, the
buildings, the streets and all the other "micromappping" things - plus
the 3D layers, indoor mapping, underground facilities, etc. squeezed
together? It will be increasingly hard to work with them - and new users
will be those who will suffer the most, because it's easier to damage
something while trying to add nice shiny object than to really extend
the map.

Maybe we should split the data into "sets" or just make the iD and JOSM
more layer/theme-centric tools - I don't know yet, but the problem is
here to stay.

2a. Semi-automated tasks execution

One of the things we should really start to practice is to rely more on
the automation. Let me quote:

"Try not to let humans do what machines could do instead. As a rule of
thumb, automating a common task is worth at least ten times the effort a
developer would spend doing that task manually one time. For very
frequent or very complex tasks, that ratio could easily go up to twenty
or even higher."

[ http://www.producingoss.com/en/managing-volunteers.html#automation ]

As an example - we are just starting to use semi-automated script for
updating public transport routes in Warsaw. There are over 300 lines
here, many hundreds of bus/tram stops - and they are constantly
changing, of course. one by one. When I got interested in it, we had a
dedicated Wikiproject, but it was on hiatus by then and I quickly gave
up too, because tracking so many objects in Wiki was a tedious and not
very useful task. Once we learned that local public transport operator
(called ZTM) has started giving away their precious raw data with
coordinates (!), me and few other mappers started to add all the stops
focusing on "stop_position" tagging. Now, after almost a year of work,
we have all of them and the C++ script which creates updated routes
network in about 15 minutes. Two important things happened lately
regarding transport system in my hometown - one of the bridges was
destroyed by fire and a new subway line was opened. If we did everything
by hand, we would be dead now, because too many things would change too
fast - but the script, even as rough as it is now, has no problem even
if all the lines will change at once. We have only to feed it with new
stops (when they are created) and we're done!

However - beware of "botocracy"! If there's only one person able to use
the tool, it's not sustainable model. It's important that the script
only gives the .osm file on the output and we can easily handle
injecting it into the database once a day - or at any other time rate.
We have a chance to make manual fixes here and there if needed. Too much
automation is not the answer - just let us get rid of boring details!

2b. Continuous sanity check tools

Such tools as this public transportation updating script need to be run
continuously - be it once per day or whatever. And we need some more
tools to monitor the whole service and data. Sure, we can't predict
everything (see this message:

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2015-March/072273.html ),

but we can have a "control center" for managing all these bots. The more
data we have, the bigger is our project, the more we will need also this
kind of automation. And it should also be open to the public to avoid
"hit by bus" kind of situations.

2c. Big data analysis

We should not only collect more data, but also analyze and aggregate
some of them. Probably some data analysis software exist yet, which can
be used with our database more or less directly, but now it looks like
we care only for editing and maps rendering (and sometimes printing them
too) - let's imagine some other outputs in scope of OSM!

3. Tools for personalizing OSM data presentation

What we have now is 5 different map styles on the main page to choose,
but people will need more and more personal styles (AKA "data skins").
Rendering all of them on OSM servers is probably impossible, but we can
develop (just-in-time?) client rendering interfaces for our database. It
has to be easy to use, like switching on and off visual layers and
letting people choose the crazy colors, icons and the interesting areas
in their browser just by clicking.

We can still serve some basic CSS skins/prestes via our repository -
like "map for the developers" (I would like to see every POI, street
lamp and the pipelines too) or "interactive contour map for quiz/web
page" (two of my friends was asking me exactly about it for their work!)
- but the rendering should be on their side. They can share some
elements to avoid duplication - P2P in the background can be of some use
here or even "CloudMapping". We should use people's machines much more.
I still miss the Tiles w Home project, but that was still old static
one-size-fits-all concept. In the next decade users can make a dynamic
cloud sharing common resources, but dynamically creating and compiling
personal "forks".

4. Redesigning some key tagging schemes

I think that will be one of the hardest think to change, but while tag
crafting is mostly a grassroot process, we need to rethink some of them
in a more systematic way.

For example amenity=school should be really landuse=school (if not used
just for the building), landcover namespace should arise (so on the
landuse=park we can see green space only when there's a grass actually,
not on the whole this area), maybe some nature/man_made tagging should
be replaced by terrain namespace... That's not important what exactly
should be (re)designed from top to bottom this time, but once you have
the needed level of expertise, you can make new implementation better
instead of just patching the original one.

We also have a lot detailed objects which are not always clearly defined
and we should try more "cascading" approach, like "amenity=fast_food" =>
"amenity=food+amenity_food_type=fast_food" (or something alike). That
way we can have "Here is food!" label without forcing mapper to
distinguish if he's not really sure.

I expect there will be strong reaction against using "top-down
committee" methodology, but some well-known problems with our ontology
architecture will never go away if we try to change it tag-for-tag. Of
course that is true only for this class of problems - most new schemes
will still be best when created ad hoc and then used by more and more
mappers.

5. Cooperation with external projects (especially open, like Wikidata)

I remember when Wikipedia was afraid of using maps from OSM, because
that was an external project. But if the license terms are not
prohibitive and you know this other community works with the same
principles in mind as your own, it would be a shame not to use their
resources just because we don't control it fully. Recently I also heard
some voices regarding using Wikidata in OSM, so for me it's the same
story retold from the other side. =}

OSM is mapping/GIS community and is defined by this. It should not try
to reinvent everything not to loose the focus. If somebody wants to try
something different, she's free to join those "other" projects as well!
And all those projects can cooperate to share what can be shared.

***

Well, that is what comes to my mind when thinking about strategic
visions for next few years. Most of the times I just try to scratch my
own little itch day by day, but after few years in the project I also
have some long-time expectations and ideas. They can be not accurate or
- heaven forbid! - the best ones, but remember: that was YOU who asked
me about "big topics and challenges for OpenStreetMap"! ;-}}}

--
Piaseczno Miasto Wąskotorowe