[OSM-talk] Can wikidata links help fight name inflation?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu May 28 20:20:19 UTC 2015

Hi,

On 05/28/2015 09:56 PM, Jóhannes Birgir Jensson wrote:
>> What I would not support in OSM, and like to outsource to Wikidata or
>> other, is if speakers of these 20 languages were to start assigning
>> name tags in their language to thousands of places in, say, the UK.

> Where do you draw the limit?

Does that mean you agree there should be a limit, or would you allow
each and every of the several thousand languages on the planet to add
their name tag to the London node? How would disputes be handled?

> name:en is on thousands of nodes but in
> many of these places it is not an official or even a minority language
> but an extra language.

Yes, I've thought about that; name:en is very useful for me but
ultimately, if the locals don't use it, then it isn't "on the ground",
and then it shouldn't be in OSM really.

> Should languages with over 1 billion (native and
> non-native) speakers be allowed to put name:xx all over the world. 500m?
> 10m? 10 thousand?

I don't think any size gives one the right to cultural imperialism; let
the locals decide what names *they* think they have and that's it.

Bye
Frederik