[OSM-talk] Can wikidata links help fight name inflation?

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Thu May 28 20:44:13 UTC 2015

On Thu, 2015-05-28 at 22:20 +0200, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Yes, I've thought about that; name:en is very useful for me but
> ultimately, if the locals don't use it, then it isn't "on the ground",
> and then it shouldn't be in OSM really.

Absolutely agree, there is a tendency to have name for places that
really don't need it. As a traveller I would far rather maps show what I
am going to see on the ground, or a roadsign than some made up name.

A German city, I think it was Würzburg, was in the news last year. It is
a name I am familiar with, however the BBC news report had dug up an
English spelling I was totally unaware existed.

Many are just plain silly, why does English put an 's' on the end of
Lyon and Marseille.

Berlin does not need a name;en tag.

Phil (trigpoint)