[OSM-talk] Can wikidata links help fight name inflation?

phil at trigpoint.me.uk phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Fri May 29 10:04:00 UTC 2015

On Fri May 29 10:42:27 2015 GMT+0100, Nick Whitelegg wrote:

> Exactly. Us Western Europeans would find Romanised versions of names useful when travelling out of Western Europe (to give a real example: I'm visiting Greece this summer, and while I'm just about at the stage where I think I can decode the Greek alphabet, Romanised versions are definitely helpful), and the converse should also be true.

I remember street names in Athens were in both latin and Greek alphabets when I was there,  although greek is at least recognisable to most westerners due to its use in maths and science.

> You don't even need on the ground evidence. You just need someone with knowledge of Cyrillic and Roman alphabets to be able to transliterate Abergavenny into the Cyrillic, presumably.

Transliteration is something that can be done at application level, and a traveller would have learned the basics. You still need to be able to check the street names against.what is on the sign.
Then why not have a single transliteration?  A single cryllic to latin transliteration will serve all languages using the latin alphabet, do we need separate Russian,  Ukrainian,  Serbo Croat tags when they are identical?

Phil (trigpoint)

> Nick

Sent from my Jolla