[OSM-talk] Can wikidata links help fight name inflation?

Komяpa me at komzpa.net
Fri May 29 13:55:32 UTC 2015

> > You don't even need on the ground evidence. You just need someone with
> knowledge of Cyrillic and Roman alphabets to be able to transliterate
> Abergavenny into the Cyrillic, presumably.
>
> Transliteration is something that can be done at application level, and a
> traveller would have learned the basics. You still need to be able to check
> the street names against.what is on the sign.
> Then why not have a single transliteration?  A single cryllic to latin
> transliteration will serve all languages using the latin alphabet, do we
> need separate Russian,  Ukrainian,  Serbo Croat tags when they are
> identical?

Problem is, they are not identical. Russian, Serbian, Ukrainian, Belarusian
and other slavic languages have different alphabets, same way as Spanish,
German and Norwegian languages all have different letters.

"Nowa Szkocja" and "Nova Scotia" both sound the same, but are in different
languages. Same rules work across all the languages, just - sometimes -
they happen to look the same. In turn, looking the same does not guarantee
that these names sound the same.

What exactly are we trying to save by omitting these locales, what wasn't
eaten already by source= on French buildings? :)

--
Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski
OSM BY Team - http://openstreetmap.by/
xmpp:me at komzpa.net mailto:me at komzpa.net