[OSM-talk] A message to our friends at HOT, Peace Corps etc. about Changeset Comments

Heather Leson heatherleson at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 17:33:57 UTC 2015

Good day fellow OSMers,

I have read this thread with great interest. There are some productive
solutions such as training and technical changes. Thank you. Every day
someone joins OpenStreetMap. Every day someone tinkers and tries to learn.
This is a good thing. In open communities, there is a varied learning arch
from beginner to expert. And, in most open communities, there are a few
moments when the growth from early adopters changes to include a wider,
diverse and global (multi-lingual) community. This is also a good thing.

I am concerned that these discussions close the door for new community
members or quieter community members or people of different skills or
people with lower digital literary skills. To me we are responsible to be
good leaders - welcome new people and be thankful that the community and
OSM improves. Yes, there are processes to change. But the one thing that I
really want to make very clear is that some of the comments are very
elitist and potential limit OSM. I also think that the tone of some of the
notes does not bode well for a healthy space for all.

We are collectively so much better than this potential road. We need to be
kinder.

Thank you,

Heather
OSM Member