[OSM-talk] A message to our friends at HOT, Peace Corps etc. about Changeset Comments

Mikel Maron mikel_maron at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 19 17:32:02 UTC 2015

"On the other hand you can't deny that HOT is in some ways self defeatingsince it isolates lots of people from the whole of OSM and the nitty
grity parts."
Fully denied. There are many facets to OSM, we are all, I hope, working to provide ways to integrate them.
 * Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron

    On Thursday, November 19, 2015 12:10 PM, Simon Poole <simon at poole.ch> wrote:

Am 19.11.2015 um 15:53 schrieb Blake Girardot:
> It is a ridiculous statement on its face; obviously HOT does not
> succeed if OSM does not succeed.

I think we fully agree and if you recheck you will see that I said
essentially the same.

> As to the original issue Ramm raised:
>
> Most HOT folks who commented agreed the example changeset comments,
> while useful, could benefit from improvement (as could the vast
> majority changeset comments in OSM). Mikel has already opened an issue
> in github to improve them and the issue has already been brought to
> the people who manage HOT OSM Tasking Manager projects, how is that
> not working with and being responsive to the larger OSM community?

Again if you go back you will see that I couldn't quite believe that a
shism was really being declared because it doesn't make any sense.

On the other hand you can't deny that HOT is in some ways self defeating
since it isolates lots of people from the whole of OSM and the nitty
grity parts. Intentionally naturally, but it doesn't necessarily
actually help the humanitarian sectors understanding of what OSM is and
how it works.

> I think HOT's history demonstrates an eagerness (and outright need) to
> work with the OSM community at every opportunity (not mistake free of
> course).  But I can also personally point to at least 1 example where
> HOT has reached out to OSMF and the License WG and literally been
> ignored after repeated attempts to even discuss an issue.

I would be interested in a reference to that. We get a large number of
enquiries, ~ 200 this year to date, and occasionally stuff gets pushed
back, particularly if there is no good answer (naturally you would get
an answer pointing that out).

Simon