[OSM-talk] What3words

Steve Doerr doerr.stephen at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 11:13:17 UTC 2015

I've read articles about it a few times, and for fun I sometimes post my
w3w location on Facebook. But I don't know if it's achieved much traction.

One maps site that I use from time to time, www.streetmap.co.uk,
includes w3w addresses for searching and on its 'convert co-ordinates'
screen, e.g. http://www.streetmap.co.uk/idgc.srf?x=530051&y=179922 (10
Downing Street).

Maybe our search box could do the same, either directly or through
integrating into Nominatim. I wouldn't suggest storing w3w addresses in
the main OSM database though.

Steve

On 22/11/2015 10:39, Colin Smale wrote:

> I have heard a few times recently about what3words, a new novel
> coordinate/addressing system for the whole world.
>
> Could/should we be doing anything to support/facilitate/implement this
> system in OSM?
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/feature/2434706/move-aside-google-maps-the-future-of-navigation-is-just-three-words
>
> --colin

---