[OSM-talk] What3words

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Sun Nov 22 11:20:47 UTC 2015

On 22/11/15 11:13, Steve Doerr wrote:

> Maybe our search box could do the same, either directly or through
> integrating into Nominatim. I wouldn't suggest storing w3w addresses in
> the main OSM database though.

As I said we have been asked to do this at least twice and we have
refused on both occasions.

That's partly a question of not wanting to add something that may never
gain any traction and partly a question of whether we should be
supporting what is essentially a proprietary project that uses a
patented algorithm and relies on a proprietary database.

Frankly, the main thing they're good at (apart from spamming me) is
whoring themselves in the media, which is why they always seem to be far
more significant than I think they really are.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://compton.nu/