[OSM-talk] User WJtW - railway track counts

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 7 08:03:35 UTC 2015

I am not sure it would be vandalism - It is more likely a
misunderstanding of the intention of the tracks=* tag. But it is very
damaging, and potentially hard to revert as this has been going on for
some time and newer edits may have been made. It may need something like
this:

 	* Get all changesets from WJtW
 	* get all railway tracks from those changesets with tracks>1
 	* search back through the history to find where the tag was added
 	* see if it was user WJtW that did it
 	* If so, remove the tracks=* tag.

But in Dutch (as you will know) there is a wonderful expression about
trying to mop up (a flooded bathroom) while the tap is still running. We
need to turn the tap off and stop this getting any worse.

It's starting to sound like a candidate for a user block until the user
engages in some kind of dialog.

//colin

On 2015-10-07 09:40, Maarten Deen wrote:

> I have asked WJtW about this in june this year but received no answer. Then I saw user BAGgeraar remove the tracks tag so I asked him about it and he too asked WJtW and received no answer.
> On the german forum there is a thread [1 [1]] about it also indicating it is a superfluous tag when all tracks are mapped.
>
> It borders on vandalism.
>
> [1 [1]] <http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=30099>
>
> Regards,
> Maarten
>
> On 2015-10-07 09:20, Colin Smale wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> User WJtW[1 [1]] has been making large numbers of edits to railways across
>> Europe in the past few months, all with the changeset comment
>> "Electrified". Most of them are adding tags like gauge=1435 which may
>> well be right (although I have no idea of his source for this).
>> However on many occasions he has added tracks=N to the individual
>> tracks where they are already mapped as N separate tracks. According
>> to the wiki this should now be interpreted as N*N tracks. For example,
>> the Channel Tunnel Rail Link south-east of London, is composed of two
>> tracks (see [2 [2]] for a sample way). They are now both tagged with
>> tracks=2, saying that each way represents 2 tracks, suggesting there
>> are 4 in total, which is wrong.
>>
>> I have sent two messages explaining as above and requesting that they
>> review this tagging, but no response so far. I noticed that another
>> mapper has also added a comment to at least one changeset with the
>> same intent.
>>
>> Any ideas how we can stop this behaviour, and repair the "damage"?
>>
>> //colin
>>
>> [1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/WJtW
>>
>> [2] http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/34574683

Links: