[OSM-talk] open question about boundaries sharing nodes with ways or nodes

Mike Thompson miketho16 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 15:26:00 UTC 2015

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 4:27 AM, Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> The boundary is where the government says it is...

Correct and there is a difference between "delimiting" (marking on a map or
specifying coordinates) and demarcation (placing or referencing physical
features on the ground - e.g. survey markers or monumentation).   I can't
find a citation for this, but I recall from my studies that where the two
disagree, demarcation takes precedence, even when it conflicts with treaty.
This is great for OSM, because the demarcation should be verifiable on the
ground (and sometimes from overhead imagery too). Therefore, importing
boundaries from a government source may be a good start, the best method is
to  survey the situation.

Mike