[OSM-talk] What's the point of the Wiki 'k=v' icon?

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Tue Sep 1 11:44:15 UTC 2015

On 01/09/15 12:14, Dave F. wrote:
> That the icon is used purely as a place holder & *removed* when a
> picture is added proves its irrelevance.
>
> Why would a newbie care or even need to know the XML structure of the
> database?

That there is a lot of material that is NOT rendered on the map is a
fact. These do not have icons so the k=v is the IDEAL icon for entries
in the wiki that ARE only available as XML data.

> The wiki has to be a clear & simple as possible.
>
> "I see that icon as an indication that the detail I'm looking at has a
> assortment of icons within the page."
> "the only way of viewing data tagged by k=v is to search on the raw data
> rather than expecting an icon to appear on the map."
>
> Sorry, but I don't really understand what you've said there.

You seem to think that every page only as a single icon associated with
it? A large number of pages have a column for the icon that relates to
those sub-entries the page describes. Some sub-elements will again not
be available rendered on a map. Perhaps we should simply strip the icon
on the page header when there is no single selection, but it is a useful
prompt that the page contains key/value data rather than other types of
material.

Are we now saying that the wiki is only allowed to document key/value
elements that are rendered and therefore have to have icons defined? The
growing number of maps do have different lists of rendered objects so
even the fact that a page has an icon does not mean you will see it on
the map you are looking at.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL