[OSM-talk] What's the point of the Wiki 'k=v' icon?

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 1 12:05:01 UTC 2015

On 2015-09-01 13:14, Dave F. wrote:
> That the icon is used purely as a place holder & *removed* when a
> picture is added proves its irrelevance.
>
> Why would a newbie care or even need to know the XML structure of the
> database?

Why is that relevant?

> The wiki has to be a clear & simple as possible.

Disagree. The wiki also has to go into detail. The wiki has to cover
every angle. But that is also not relevant here.

> "I see that icon as an indication that the detail I'm looking at has a
> assortment of icons within the page."
> "the only way of viewing data tagged by k=v is to search on the raw
> data rather than expecting an icon to appear on the map."
>
> Sorry, but I don't really understand what you've said there.

I don't understand the issue. Why is the icon confusing? Why would it be
wrong to have this icon if there are people that don't care about the
XML structure? Other people may care and it is not confusing for them. I
don't even see why the icon could be confusing. The icon is there
because there is no specific icon for the value. If you don't want this
icon th show, insert an icon for the value.
Really, I do not understand your problem with the icon.

Regards,
Maarten