[OSM-talk] Abandoned Rails

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Wed Sep 9 05:54:20 UTC 2015

Mateusz Konieczny writes:
 > And "abandoned railway" that was not noticed by somebody in his/her
 > own back yard seems to be a good example of object that should not be
 > mapped in OSM.

Oh, and he didn't notice the railroad bridge about 90m east of his
property either. This bridge:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/240308433 Nor the right-of-way
underneath the NYS Thruway. This right-of-way (which pre-existed the
trail): https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/237524740 . Nor the bridge
remains on the west side (which I didn't put into OSM, but they're
there). You can read the Wikipedia page for the railroad -- it will
tell you more than you ever wanted to know about why the railroad
right-of-way under the Thruway was destroyed. All of those should have
been clues to the homeowner. They are *certainly* verifiable evidence
of an abandoned railroad right-of-way.

Why do you persist? You can't win, because you're wrong. I know far,
far more about abandoned railroads than you do, and I can provide as
many examples of the verifiability of abandoned railroads as it will
take to convince you. Assuming that facts will actually change your
mind. Of which I am in doubt at this point.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog