[OSM-talk] THIS is the kind of enthusiasm some would reject

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Thu Sep 10 03:15:42 UTC 2015

Ian Dees writes:
 > Let's stop trying to generate conflict where there isn't any, Russ.

I understand your desire to sweep conflict under the rug, to pretend
it doesn't exist, to think that we only map what "we" can see. But *I*
see an abandoned railroad here. Let's all sing Kumbaya, hug, and get
along. Which we CAN if people would only stop destroying what other
people have done.

Look at these two photos and tell me what you can see, what you can
"verify":

https://goo.gl/photos/G41ehgPJyfEWcvwH7
https://goo.gl/photos/FfgSS5bDMQ3XW7MX8

What's this? Is it a trail or is it an abandoned railroad? See the
spike? Where did it come from if not the abandoned railroad?
Or the lump of coal hundreds of miles from any coal field?

It's not a track. It's an abandoned railroad that is being *used* as a
track.

I'm not asking anybody else to map it as an abandoned railroad.
I'm asking people to respect MY tagging of it as an abandoned
railroad. Because when I see a spike, or a lump of coal, or a "road"
which is level where no road needed to be but a railroad did, I map it
as an abandoned railroad.

Don't destroy other people's mapping. Why is this not obvious?
Don't vandalize OSM!

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog