[OSM-talk] Mapnik - school names

César Martínez Izquierdo cesar.izq at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 10:57:03 UTC 2015

It would be great if schools (and universities) were rendered using
some icon in addition to the name. At least in Spain, they are very
important buildings from several points of view:
- social relevance (they congregate a very important amount of people
on a daily basis)
- for orientation (they are prominent and characteristic buildings
that can be used as reference locations)
- traffic influence (they often cause traffic jams or crowds in their
surrounding areas on opening and closing hours)

There are many other amenities having much lower relevance which are
rendered using an icon.
Is there any reason for excluding schools and universities?

César Martínez

On 9 September 2015 at 16:22, Daniel Koć <daniel at koć.pl> wrote:
> W dniu 09.09.2015 16:06, Dave F. napisał(a):
>
>> Probably a figment of my imagination by I thought Mapnik used to
>> render the names of schools. It doesn't appear to be doing so now. I'm
>> wondering if there's a reason for that? They're usually quite large
>> areas so plenty of room to fit the wording in.
>

> It's a bug in osm-carto style and it's been already reported:
>
> https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/1800
>
> --
> "The train is always on time / The trick is to be ready to put your bags
> down" [A. Cohen]

   César Martínez Izquierdo
   GIS developer
   Blog: http://geotechnotes.wordpress.com/
   ETC-SIA: http://sia.eionet.europa.eu/
   Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (SPAIN)