[OSM-talk] Portal for end users

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Mon Sep 14 18:25:17 UTC 2015

I had an idea to add UMap functionality to OSM.org website and I
discovered Mateusz Konieczny lately wanted to add a dynamic layer with
opening hours (and some more data), which I think would be also useful
for users:

https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/1038
https://github.com/openstreetmap/openstreetmap-website/issues/1056

However the response we got is that all the features on our website are
there because they help mappers. While I'm sure overlay showing opening
hours falls into this category easily, map personalization is primary a
feature for end users (of course mappers may use it too, but it may not
have direct impact on OSM data).

This made me wonder if we care only for having portal for mappers and
don't like to have some useful features just because they are addressed
rather for data consumers? In most of the cases this is not the
contradiction, but why should we "reject" end users' needs?

OSM-carto, which is what I'm more familiar with, tries to reach both
these groups:

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/master/CARTOGRAPHY.md#purposes

down" [A. Cohen]