[OSM-talk] Portal for end users

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Sep 14 22:15:44 UTC 2015

Hi,

On 09/14/2015 08:25 PM, Daniel Koć wrote:
> This made me wonder if we care only for having portal for mappers and
> don't like to have some useful features just because they are addressed
> rather for data consumers?

A portal for data consumers would be most welcome, just not run by OSMF
and our volunteers (our manpower and money is sufficient to run a portal
for mappers but not one for end users too).

You must be aware that if you target end users, you'll have to answer
questions like "where is your aerial imagery", "why don't you have
feature <X> that <other_mao_portal> has", etc. - this is going to be a
whole new project to its own, with its own support staff, its own help
site, its own developers, its own servers, its own admins. I think
setting up such a site is not a bad idea, if someone can think of a way
to raise the money needed and how to finance it long-term.

It could be done by anyone (and if it existed, we could send anyone who
comes to OSM complaining about lack of user friendliness there), but it
hasn't been done yet. OSMF lacks the resources to do it but it is not
something that OSMF has to do because it doesn't require any kind of
privileged access to the web site.

Bye
Frederik