[OSM-talk] THIS is the kind of enthusiasm some would reject

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 11:36:08 UTC 2015

> I don't understand how a feature can be both "dismantled till the end
> of time" and "in the present".

this depends on the tags you use to describe it. If you say it is a not
being any more thing, it will likely remain like this. If you say it used
to be a thing until date, then it is the a=foo, end_date=date tagging style.

> The only state that you can keep
> forever is the state of not being. To me, "dismantled" as used in OSM
> rails is a much stronger definition than "dismantled legos", it is a
> synonym for "fully gone".

I agree.

> Saying that something is "fully gone in the
> present" is a roundabout way of saying that it is in the past.

yes, but still that's two different ways of saying it, the same as with
tagging.

Cheers,
Martin