[OSM-talk] A big debate about OSM quality in Strava community

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Fri Sep 18 17:00:35 UTC 2015

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 9:27 AM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:

> Feedback thread on Strava is here:
>

> https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/95423147-Feedback-for-Strava-s-new-maps-OpenStreetMap-?page=5#post_39574047
>

>From the feedback, it seems that users are complaining about

   1. Lack of Street View
   2. Higher Resolution of satellite imagery
   3. Speed of tile rendering
   4. Cartography (Terrain view blurry)
   5. UI issues

Item 1 is calling out for a Mapillary solution. Mapillary offers smartphone
holders for cars, maybe getting one for cyclists would help. Mapping road
surface would help, but doesn't get at the road quality issue cyclists
need.

Higher resolution imagery: I doubt there is a mapper that wouldn't also
like to see higher resolution satellite imagery. I'd also like more current
imagery. Even my counties Bing imagery seems clearer than ours, although
JOSM allows higher zoom levels.

The remaining items seem to point towards Mapbox.

Clifford
--
@osm_seattle
osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us