[OSM-talk] A big debate about OSM quality in Strava community

moltonel moltonel at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 20:59:41 UTC 2015

On 18 September 2015 17:21:07 GMT+01:00, John Doe <theguestone at gmail.com> wrote:
>Interesting debate about the recent adoption of OSM:
>http://cyclingtips.com.au/2015/09/strava-users-remain-frustrated-by-switch-from-google-maps-to-openstreetmap/

Same story happened a while ago when a geocaching site switched to OSM. Strava certainly could have reduced the backlash by communicating better (WWIC). A big change like this droped onto users naturally generates a lot of drama, regardless of the actual pros/cons for average users. So far Strava is sticking to their guns, so the measured downfall can't be that high.

Meanwhile, as a casual Strava Android user in Europe, I've been waiting for more OSM/Mapbox goodness inside the app since I started using it (around the time Strava released its heatmaps for OSM use). The app still uses Google, which is vastly inferior to OSM for my region, both in map data and satellite.
--
Vincent Dp