[OSM-talk] [Talk-us] Slack

Blake Girardot bgirardot at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 16:48:35 UTC 2016

IRC is open, public and transparent.

It is very easy to log, anyone can do it, there is no secret anything.
If you have a machine that is always on, like my desktop, you just log
in and you have the transcript/log of whatever goes on. There are
literally 100's of people that do that in the #OSM channel (222 at the
moment).

Many channels intentionally log their traffic to the web for
transparency and easy to catch up for not always connected people.
Individuals and services can do the same thing if they want.

For example, here you can relive 2009-2010 in #OSM channel here:

http://www.pingx.net/oftc/osm

The OSM IRC channel is primarily a support channel in practice, with
many experienced and knowledgeable folks answering questions. There is
not a ton of off topic chit-chat because excess traffic gets annoying,
but often people share interesting OSM or mapping related items there as
well.

If you would like a log of the last 2 years or so of the #osm channel
(or #hot, #osm-dev, #oftc, #debian-gis) let me know, I'll email you mine.

The idea that people have discussions they would not otherwise have on
IRC because it is not logged or secret really shows a fundamental
misunderstanding of IRC and its common usage.

Cheers,
Blake