[OSM-talk] [BOT] [RFC]: water surfaces

moltonel moltonel at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 20:03:23 UTC 2016

On 5 April 2016 16:18:53 GMT+01:00, Greg Morgan
>In my case, you'll have to provide more context here.  I look at OSM
>Inspector and Keep Right and see all these broken things.  That is a
>beautiful discovery.  Mappers are trying to improve the map that is
>very
>much a human endeavor and mistake prone.  I am just lost how everything
>is
>a bad import.

I don't think any of those import is bad, at least not on the criteria of duplicated way/relation tags. In the low count cases, the duplication is likely to have happened during later edits rather than the initial import. Today duplicating tag on way+rel is considered bad practice, but that came about slowly (standard practice used to be to tag the way only).

Duplication is also fairly harmless (as long as the tags don't contradict), and some would argue that it isn't worth the version churn.

Broken polygons on the other hand (which were probably broken manually, not by the imports) are worth fixing. They are easy to detect but not always easy to fix. Some error types might be mechanically fixable, but I guess that most need human intervention.
--
Vincent Dp