[OSM-talk] classification of airports/aerodromes

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 21:22:51 UTC 2016

On 13/04/2016 5:47 AM, Michael Kugelmann wrote:
> Am 12.04.2016 um 11:40 schrieb Christoph Hormann:
>> This is also a problem for map rendering - map styles use these features
>> to place labels and icons but these features are generally too
>> ill-defined and undifferentiated to do this properly.
> I agree completely. This is something that should be improved: we need
> at least some rough categories for aerodromes. Because it does not
> make sense to me at all to render a grass strip exactly the same as a
> big international airport.
surface=grass
OR
surface=paved

Some airports are locally categorised as 'domestic', 'international' ...
I lack expertise in this area but the public are aware of these two
categories.

> This is open since years but nobody really took care about this
Rendering ... rather than a tagging problem.
> Of cause this will not be easy as the regulations are different in the
> different countries. But we should find some categorization. And any
> approach is better than the current situation.
The surface tag is has been assumed by some mappers. Perhaps that needs
to addresses on the wiki?