[OSM-talk] Crowdfunding for OpenStreetMap in Bénin : 275km² high resolution satellite imagery for Cotonou by 1-May 2016!

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Mon Apr 25 17:52:53 UTC 2016

I'm slightly taken back by the number of people wanting to jump in and
make decisions for a local community on a topic that has little bearing
outside of their region. Surely is must be their prerogative to decide
how best to get imagery for their area, if at all (I do suspect that
they will welcome alternative offers, but that is obviously up to them).

Further I don't quite follow Christoph's argument. There is very very
little imagery used in OSM that is available on open (data) terms. As
long as the results of tracing etc  are essentially unencumbered nobody
seems to have had  issues with using non-free sources starting off with
yahoo in 2007 and yes we've paid with money and in other ways for
imagery in many places.

Simon