[OSM-talk] Crowdfunding for OpenStreetMap in Bénin : 275km² high resolution satellite imagery for Cotonou by 1-May 2016!

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Mon Apr 25 19:05:14 UTC 2016

Am 25.04.2016 um 20:41 schrieb Christoph Hormann:
> I tried to clarify my standpoint in my reply to Frederik.
>
> In addition i also think open imagery is currently severely underused in
> OSM mapping due to convenient availability of not really open but free
> to use in OSM imagery in Bing and Mapbox.  This applies both to high
> resolution aerial images available from local providers under open data
> terms - you know the frequent complaints by locals that armchair
> mappers try to 'correct' local mapping based on outdated Bing imagery -
> and lower resolution open satellite images which are rarely used at all
> except for the 15 year old base data in Bing despite offering a lot of
> information useful for mapping.  I find this regrettable in some way -
> mappers should be aware of and have access to open imagery sources that
> are available as much as possible - but also understandable, people use
> what is most readily available and most convenient for them and there
> is little incentive in providing alternatives just because they are
> open if they don't provide significant advantages for practical use.

Actually this has, at least on the browser embedded editor sid,e
improved quite a bit. For example the Canton of Zürich released 10cm
nominal resolution imagery early this year and at least in iD you will
get this imagery as default now if you edit there, just as you will get
the imagery from the Canton Aargau here (which while essentially just a
service fee, we did pay CHF 200 for). While I'm not particularly happy
with just a flag to indicate the preferable imagery for a region, it
does work most of the time.

Simon