[OSM-talk] Bicycle GPS traces - more opendata

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Mon Apr 25 21:28:54 UTC 2016

On 2016-04-25 21:55, John Whelan wrote:
> Apols it looks as if only pact of my message got sent.
>
> My local city is purchasing bicycle GPS track data from a company that
> has a fitness app.  Apparently many cities would like this sort of
> data.  However it doesn't capture those who don't have a smartphone nor
> those who choose not to install a commercial app on their phone.
>
> OSM has a history of capturing GPS data from devices, and having well
> written procedures to upload it.
>
> I don't think it needs the current GPS trace database cluttering up with
> more traces but could the cycling fraternity come up with a process to
> store this type of data as open data?

Is it from Strava? Strava are already supporting OSM in a few different
ways.
eg the default maps on the Strava website are OSM based (from Mapbox).
And the routing uses OSM data.

For contributing to OSM, they allow tracing from their global heatmap.
This may not be as useful as having the raw GPS traces, but it is easy
to spot popular cycling routes, and improve the accuracy of roads that
are already mapped.

Some more details on the wiki: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Strava